Sunday, April 10, 2011

My Open Source Flash Diffuser

I bought a Metz 48 AF-1 external flash a long time ago. I decided on this other than the Canon Speedlites because of its value for money. I only have two complaints - the reflector card is so small for it to matter and I can't find a diffuser which fits.

A diffuser is a flash attachment that reflects or distributes the light coming from the flash. Without a diffuser, light from the flash causes harsh shadows and gives the photo an uneven look. A diffuser may either be a translucent box that covers your flash head or a reflector just like those big umbrellas you find in photo studios. Using a diffuser gives your photos a more natural look.

And since I can't find any Metz-compatible diffuser in any local shop, I decided to make one myself. To make my job easier, I decided on making a reflector. I read from various DIY photography blogs that plastic bottles make good reflectors. I am calling this project the Open Source Flash Diffuser.  Open source because I'm showing you how it's done and I won't bill you for it.  And, if you have any improvements, you can add on to this post.

For this project, I used an empty bathroom cleaner bottle.


I cut off the bottle's top and bottom giving me a tube.  Using a pair of scissors, I split the tube lengthwise giving me a curved white surface.


I had some stick-on velcro strips and placed them on the bottom corners of the reflector.  I used the velcro's hook side.  This is a random decision and, either way, it wouldn't matter.


Then, I placed the velcro's loop side on my flash head's left and right side.


Here it is with the reflector on.


Later on, I put additional velcro strips at the front and back so I can use it to shoot photos in portrait orientation.


I took my reflector on a test drive at the Manila International Auto Show (pun intended) and it worked well despite its cheapness.  Walking around the auto show, I beamed with pride carrying this around.  I felt I was pretty smart carrying the cheapest reflector in that convention.  That is, until I saw someone with a plastic fan stuck to his flash head and another with a sheet of paper stuck to his.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by ScreenWritersArena