Sunday, August 7, 2011

On a Mission: My Bukit Bintang Street Shoot

Ever since I started sharing my photos in this blog, I was hoping I would get to share photos from places outside the Philippines. Well, I got my chance when the company sent me to Kuala Lumpur on official company business for 4 weeks. Now, 1 week into this trip, I finally have something to share. 


It was during my last trip to Bohol that I found out that I lost the quick release plate for my el-cheapo ballhead for my CD-R King tripod. I have been planning to get a better replacement and was planning to buy one in KL. Since I will be living near the city center, I knew I can easily get to Low Yat Plaza in Bukit Bintang. Low Yat is a gadget-head's paradise and I was hoping I could find some nice ballheads there. Being new to the city, I decided to walk to Low Yat to better familiarize myself with the area.

After walking three hot and humid kilometers, I finally got to Low Yat. The long walk was disappointing since the place had a limited choice of ballheads. The trip would not be in vain, however. The area had lots of interesting people and interesting sights. So, the next day, I brought my camera with me to take pictures of the place.

Being a bit wiser this time, I took a taxi. I walked around Sungei Wang to see if they had good camera shops there.  There were some good shops but still, no ballheads.  Compared to Manila, the mall was not packed - even on a Sunday and some shops were still closed at 11 AM.

One of the empty "pasilyos" at Sungei Wang

After browsing, I decided to find a good spot to take street photos.  I went out to Jalan Bukit Bintang and found some seats near the sidewalk.  I picked the location because it was near a crossing with lots of people. I ordered a crepe from the nearby shop and took some shots.



After about an hour, I decided to head back home. This time, on foot which would take me through the Pavilion, the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, the KLCC park, and finally, home. The walk took longer than usual since I had to stop and take some shots. The shots from this walk are in the gallery below. The one with the taxi driver really made my day.



The trip ended back to where I started - Ampang Park.

The end of the walk - Ampang Park station

I am sharing the route I took so if ever you find your way to KL, you can take the same route and have your own experience.

View Bukit Bintang - Ampang Park in a larger map

5 comments:

  1. this post makes me want to go to KL! Thanks Charles for sharing... Pwede ka na sa travel magazine... Great shots and interesting stories to tell

    ReplyDelete
  2. feeling travel. ;) dito ako nagkainteres kumuha ng kumuha ng pics ng tao.

    ReplyDelete
  3. may rules ba sa pagkuha ng tao? may experience ako dito sa Morocco, which is actually hindi naman sya kinukunan ko, nagalit! hehehe as in nagwawala sya... parang gustong basagin bintana ng sasakyan namin hehehe... kaya may hesitation ako sa ganyan... depende ba yon? dapat candid shot at discreet lang pagkuha?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depende sa lugar yan. May iba nagagalit kaya discreet ako. Hehehe.

    Eto yung tips: http://www.dannyst.com/5-quick-tips-on-shooting-in-the-streets/

    Tapos etong photographer na to mas matapang: http://www.85mm.ch/Book/GoingCandid.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah ok, sige... Check ko sites na yan hehe

    ReplyDelete

Designed by ScreenWritersArena